Silk-screen printing is one of the most popular printing techniques, but how do you do screen-printing at home? Mostly used by companies when printing designs onto products of different sizes and materials, silk-screen printing is actually fairly cost effective to do at home if you don’t mind putting in the effort.
If you’re more of a visual learner you can check out videos on Youtube who will walk you through everything you need to know. But here are the basic steps you are going to have to take.
Steps to screen printing at home
Individual materials you will need (or get the whole kit)
Now you’re ready to begin screen-printing at home!
- Keeping the screen away from direct light, coat the entire screen with emulsion. Continue to keep screen out of light while drying.
- Take transparency film of your desired image and place it on the outside of your screen using clear tape.
- Place screen in direct light to expose emulsion, or use a UV screen exposure unit.
- After emulsion has been exposed, remove transparency and gently rinse out entire screen. Making sure to completely wash away any excess emulsion that could run into the image while drying. After rinse set screen aside to dry.
- Take squeegee and pull ink through screen.
- Depending on type of ink used, curing processes will differ.
Need some help bringing your design to life?
Get a custom quote on your next apparel purchase. Rick’s Tease offers Screen Printing, Embroidery, and Custom T-shirt Design. Check out our other blog topics for more T-Shirt Design Ideas or to learn more about how to do screen printing at home!